Peter A. Foreman BDS, FICD, FAGD, FADSA, Dip AAPM (USA)
Dr Foreman is recognised internationally for his contributions to anaesthesia and conscious sedation, patient management, and management of chronic orofacial pain. He has published numerous journal articles and textbook chapters. Academic appointments have included the University of British Columbia, University of Southern California; and the University of Auckland School of Medicine.
After returning from the United States in 1985 he joined the Auckland Regional Pain Service. He was its Clinical Director from 1996 to 1998.and was also a consultant at the Oral Health Unit at Greenlane Hospital in Auckland. Until recently, he has been a visiting pain consultant to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Rotorua, and is now a pain consultant. .
Previous Positions and Appointments:
Acting Specialist, Department of Anaesthesia, Auckland Hospital (1985-2004)
Clinical Director, The Auckland Regional Pain Service (1996 -1998)
Senior Lecturer (5/10) Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Auckland (1991-1992) – Communication Skills Program
Scientific Programme Director, International Dental Congress on Pain Control (1997) Executive Committee, Auckland Dental Association (1994-1995)
President, NZ Society for Sedation and Anaesthesia in Dentistry (1993-95)
Chairman, NZDA Committee on Sedation Training in Dentistry (1992-97)
Committee on International Affairs, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (1990)
International Association for the Study of Pain Committee, Undergraduate Dental Pain Curriculum (1990-1992)
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Sciences (Division of Human Behavior) and Orofacial Pain Clinic; University of Southern California (1981-1984)
Postgraduate Fellow, 2/10. UCLA School of Medicine Pain Management Center (1983).
Associate Professor, University of British Columbia (1973-74)
Assistant Professor, Department of Human Behavior, USC School of Dentistry (1972-73)
Dr Foreman has worked in the field of pain management for many years (anaesthesia, sedation, behavioural sciences, acute and chronic pain management). He is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists (1983), the Academy of General Dentistry (1981), the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (1974), and a Diplomate of the American Academy of Pain Management (1991). He is a member of the International Association for the Study of Pain, the New Zealand and American Pain Societies, the N.Z. Dental Association, and the International Myopain Society. He was awarded Life Membership in the Society for the Advancement of Anaesthesia in Dentistry (U.K.) in 1979 for outstanding contributions to pain control.
Dr. Foreman lectures and presents regular courses for many professional organisations, both locally and internationally. Recent presentations have included courses in Sydney (NSW Branch ADA), British Postgraduate Medical Foundation, University of Washington and Oregon Health Sciences Universities; Painweek USA “The Many Faces of Fibromyalgia” (2008), Masterclasses and lectures on Orofacial Pain (TMD, and oral neuropathies (AO) (2010-2012); UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine (Equine Neuropathies, 2011), NZ Endodontic Society (2011, Trans-Tasman Endodontic Conference (Gold Coast 2012); NZDA courses on orofacial pain (2007) and Patient Management (2010).
Other presentations have included the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (Grand Rounds), University of Iowa, American Academy of Pain Management, International Federation of Dental Anesthesiology Societies Congress, New Zealand Pain Society, Australian Pain Society, New Zealand Dental Association, and Australian Society for Anaesthesia in Dentistry Conferences. He was also a member of the panel at the Second World Workshop in Oral Medicine in Chicago in 1993, and Scientific Programme Director for the 1997 International Dental Congress on Modern Pain Control.
1. Atypical Odontalgia : Unmasking a Phantom - submitted for publication
1. Foreman, P.A. : Chronic Orofacial Pain : A Clinical Challenge. New Zealand Dental
Journal 104, No. 2: 44-48; June 2008.
2. Foreman, P.A. : Toothaches of Non-Dental Origin : Staying Out of Trouble.
Dental Practice (U.K.) 38 : 6 2000.
3. Foreman, P.A. : The Changing Focus of Temporomandibular Disorders :
Management Within a Hospital-Based Multidisciplinary Pain Centre. New
Zealand Dental Journal 94 : 117-125 1998.
4. Foreman, P.A. : Pre-emptive Analgesia : The Prevention of Neurogenous
Orofacial Pain. Anesthesia Progress 42 : 36 1995.
5. Hay. K.D. and Foreman, P.A. : Temporomandibular Disorders. New Zealand
Dental Journal 90 : 107 (September) 1994.
6. Foreman, P.A., Harold, P.L. and Hay, K.D. : An Evaluation of the Diagnosis,
Treatment and Outcome of Patients with Chronic Orofacial Pain. New Zealand
Dental Journal 90 : 44 (June) 1994.
7. Foreman, P.A. : Dental Anaesthesia and Sedation in New Zealand : Then and
Now. New Zealand Journal of Sedation and Pain Control in Dentistry 1 : 2
8. Foreman, P.A. : Facial Pain. Patient Management 22 : 15 (April) 1993.
Reprinted in General Practitioner (Australia) 1 : 48 (April) 1993.
9. Foreman, P.A. : Myofascial Pain Syndromes of the Head and Neck :
Management Using Stretch Techniques. Patient Management 22 : 19
(May) 1993. Reprinted In General Practitioner 1 : 6 (June) 1993.
10. Foreman, P.A. : Myofascial Pain Syndromes of the Head and Neck :
Management by Trigger Point Injection. Patient Management 22 : 25 (July)
1993. Reprinted in General Practitioner 1 : 6(July) 1993.
11. Foreman, P.A. : Craniomandibular Pain and Dysfunction : An Update. New
Zealand Dental Journal 87 : 124 (October) 1991.
12. Foreman, P.A. : Current Concepts of Diagnosis and Treatment in
Temporomandibular Joint and Myofascial Pain Dysfunction. Anesthesia Progress
36:201 (October) 1989.
13. Foreman, P.A. : An Integrated Approach to the Management of Dental Anxiety
Australian Dental Journal 29 : 10 (February) 1988.
14. Foreman, P.A. : Practical Patient Management : The Integrated Approach.
Anesthesia Progress 35 : 19 (January) 1988.
15. Foreman, P.A. : Temporomandibular Joint and Myofascial Pain Dysfunction :
Some Current Concepts. Part I : Diagnosis. New Zealand Dental Journal
81 : 47 (April) 1985.
16. Foreman, P.A. : Temporomandibular Joint and Myofascial Pain Dysfunction :
Some Current Concepts. Part II : Treatment. New Zealand Dental Journal
81 : 52 (April) 1985.
17. Foreman, P.A. Donaldson, D., Jastak, J.T. and Reveal, D.R. : Continuing
Education in Intravenous Sedation. Anesthesia Progress 29 : 163 (November -
18. Foreman, P.A. : Flunitrazepam in Outpatient Dentistry. Anesthesia Progress
29 : 52 (March-April) 1982
19. Foreman, P.A. : Behavioral Considerations in Patient Management.
Anesthesia Progress 26 ; 161 (November-December) 1979.
20. Foreman, P.A. : Pharmacosedation : Intravenous Route. in EMERGENCIES
IN DENTAL PRACTICE, 3rd. Edition (McCarthy). Philadelphia, W.B.
Saunders Company (1979).
21. Foreman, P.A. : Acupuncture - Fact or Fantasy? New Zealand Dental Journal
74 : 197 (October) 1978.
22. Foreman, P.A. : North American Dentistry : A Comparison. New Zealand
Dental Journal 70 : 185 (July) 1974.
23. Foreman, P.A. : Control of the Anxiety/Pain Complex in Dentistry : Intravenous
Psychosedation with Techniques using Diazepam. Journal of Oral Surgery,
Oral Medicine & Oral Pathology 37 : 337 (March) 1974.
24. Foreman, P.A. : Psychosedation : Intravenous Route in EMERGENCIES IN
DENTAL PRACTICE, 2nd. Edition (McCarthy). Philadelphia, W.B.
Saunders Company (1972).
25. Foreman, P.A. : "Intravenous Sedation and Anaesthesia for Restorative
Dentistry and Minor Oral Surgery" in GENERAL ANESTHETIC AND
SEDATION TECHNIQUES FOR DENTISTRY (Pryor and Macalister).
Bristol, John Wright and Sons (1971).
26. Foreman, P.A. : Pain Control and Patient Management in Dentistry - a Review
of Current Intravenous Techniques. Journal of the American Dental
Association 80 : 101 (January) 1970. (Abstract published in Year Book of
27. Foreman, P.A. : Intravenous Diazepam in General Dental Practice. New
Zealand Dental Journal 65 : 243 (October) 1969.
28. Foreman, P.A., Neels, R. and Willetts, P.W. : Diazepam in Dentistry.
Anesthesia Progress 15 : 253 (November-December) 1968.
29. Foreman, P.A. : Intravenous Sedation : A Technique for the Routine Treatment
of the Apprehensive Ambulatory Patient. Anesthesia Progress 13 : 218
(August-September) 1966. (Abstract published in the 1968 Year Book of Dentistry)
30. Foreman, P.A. : Intravenous Sedation : A Technique of Pain Control for
Conservative Dentistry and Minor Oral Surgery. Australian Dental Journal
12 : 32 (August) 1967. (Abstract published in Year Book of Dentistry, 1969).
31. Foreman, P.A. : Very Light Anesthesia in Dentistry. New Zealand Dental
Journal 61 :18 (January) 1966.
32. Wilkinson, W.B., Foreman, P.A. and Neels, R. : The Routine Use of
Methohexital Sodium in General Dental Practice. New Zealand Dental Journal
61 : 12 (January) 1965.