Richard Widmer received his Master's Degree in Paediatric Dentistry from the University of Melbourne. The majority of his paediatric clinical practice over the last 20 years has been at the Westmead Centre for Oral Health [WCOH] and The Children's Hospital at Westmead [CHW]. Richard is currently an Associate Clinical Professor in Paediatric Dentistry, The University of Sydney, and Director of the Dental Department at The Children's Hospital at Westmead. He is a very active clinician and lecturer, presenting to students and graduates in all branches of the Health Sciences as well as being invited to present at Conferences, both locally and internationally. Richard is a Past President of the International Association of Paediatric Dentistry, as well as both the Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry and the Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry.
Richard has co-edited the very popular "Handbook of Paediatric Dentistry" now in its third edition and in seven languages .
Recently Richard, with his Canadian colleague Gerry Wright has released “Paediatric Dentistry, dental care for children. A guide for parents“.
Richard is partnered in life by Fiona, an Endodontist and they have a daughter and two sons.
- 1975 BDSc University of Melbourne
- 1981 MDSc (Paediatric Dentistry) University of Melbourne
- 1982 FRACDS
- 1982 Specialist Paediatric Dentist, Dental Board of New South Wales
- 1988 – Present .Head of Dental Department The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- 2005 - Professor Emeritus, Westmead Hospital
- 1997 – Present Senior Consultant, Paediatric Dentistry Westmead Centre for Oral Health
- 2001 – Present Associate Clinical Professor, Paediatric Dentistry University of Sydney, Faculty of Dentistry
- 1999 – 2001 President International Association of Paediatric Dentistry
- 1999 - 2001 President of the Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry
- 1997 – 2000 President Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry
Provide a consultative service in all aspects of Paediatric Dentistry to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead ( CHW ) .
Provide teaching services in fundamental and advanced paediatric dentistry for undergraduates and postgraduates attending the CHW and the Westmead Centre for Oral Health ( WCOH ).
Responsibility for provision of lectures to 4th year medical students University of Sydney students , as part of their overall course in Paediatrics.
Advance public dental health education.
Develop research programmes in the field of Paediatric Dentistry.
Provide teaching services for all medical (ie: under-graduates, graduates and post-graduate) staff and allied health staff (nursing, dental therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, etc.) at The Children’s Hospital, Westmead & Westmead Centre for Oral Health, Sydney NSW.
- 1975 University Blue: Member of Melbourne University Rowing Eight
- 1975 which won the Inter Varsity Trophy
- 1974 Represented Victoria in the under 23 Heavyweight 8 rowing crew which competed in 3 test races against New Zealand
- 1970 Royal Humane Society Award for saving the life of a drowning teenager
- 1996 Westmead Hospital and Community Health Services; Annual Awards 15 years of service, “Most Outstanding Specialist” award
- 2005 Employee of the Month September . Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- 2008 The Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons , Meritorious Service Award.
This award had been conferred on Richard for his contributions over more than 25 years involving examining for the final FRACDS as well as his Presidency of the International Association of Paediatric Dentistry (IAPD), his organising of the International IAPD meeting in Sydney in 2005 and for his work on the Education Committee of the (IAPD).
This award was instituted in 1983 to be given to those dentists who have made substantial contributions to the College and to dentistry.